Sherry NV Harvey's
Harveys Bristol Milk Sherry, Bottled 1973
Provenance: Christies Inc. New York , 12/9/2016
Interested in this bottle?
Please leave your email address here.
- Placing an Order
- Sales Question
- New Account Setup
Call: (954) 429-6329, or
Contact us via Email
|Fill level||Top shoulder|
Well before the Roman conquest some 2,200 years ago, the area around Cadiz, Spain already boasted a flourishing grape-growing and winemaking tradition. Canaanites, who founded the city around 900 b.c., brought vines and the winemaking trade with them. Greeks added to this knowledge and during Rome’s rule from about 200 b.c. to 100 a.d., Cadiz’s wine industry transformed from a local industry to a phenomenon throughout the known world. Vintages from the area around southern Spain soon were being shipped throughout the Empire. The drink that would become the sherry we know today was a favorite among the Roman elite.
Harvey's(We currently have no information available on this brand)
John Harvey & Sons Ltd.
In 1796 the introduction of Harvey's wine-trading business was established in Denmark Street in Bristol. Owned by William Perry, who went into partnership with Thomas Urch. In 1822 Urch's nephew (John Harvey) joined the firm as an apprentice. By 1839 John Harvey was the senior partner in the Bristol branch of the family business, and by 1871 the whole company was known as John Harvey & Sons.
Although as a wine trader their firm specializes in importing, blending and exporting fortified wines, in particular, the company's primary brand Bristol Cream, it has been selling its Cognac for a long time. After 1960 the business relocated from Denmark Street to Whitchurch Lane, Hartcliffe, at which point the Denmark Street cellars became Britain's only wine museum, with adjoining restaurant. Both closed in 2003.
By 2016, the bar Harveys Cellars has the same location on the same site in Denmark Street. Today it is a subsidiary of Allied Lyons.