Sherry 1874 Osborne
Oloroso, Puerto de Santa Maria
Well before the Roman conquest some 2,200 years ago, the area around Cadiz, Spain already boasted a flourishing grape-growing and winemaking tradition. Canaanites, who founded the city around 900 b.c., brought vines and the winemaking trade with them. Greeks added to this knowledge and during Rome’s rule from about 200 b.c. to 100 a.d., Cadiz’s wine industry transformed from a local industry to a phenomenon throughout the known world. Vintages from the area around southern Spain soon were being shipped throughout the Empire. The drink that would become the sherry we know today was a favorite among the Roman elite.
Since it was founded by Thomas Osborne born in Exeter in the eighteenth century, Osborne has been trading sherry but has been in the Port Wine trade since 1967 initially with participation of Quinta do Noval, a company of great tradition and prestige in the Port wine sector. Osborne Portugal was the first step of Osborne in its politics of diversification. In the year of 1988, Osborne acquires the totality of Osborne Portugal and buys Quinta do Noval facilities in Vila Nova de Gaia. However, Osborne purchased the Port shipper Duff Gordon already in the 19th century but retained only the brand name.
Osborne Master of Port
In 1988 Osborne initiated collaboration between associations of sommeliers in France and various other countries, including Portugal, Belgium and the Netherlands, in order to establish the Osborne Master of Port, an award which would be given to the sommelier with the greatest knowledge of Port wines.