Port 1987 Feuerheerd
Vintage Port, Stencilled Front, Label on Back
Provenance: Sylvies, 1/29/2016
Interested in this bottle?
Please leave your email address here.
- Placing an Order
- Sales Question
- New Account Setup
Call: (954) 429-6329, or
Contact us via Email
The early 1800s was a watershed era for the vintners of Portugal’s Douro Valley, On one hand, the grape harvest of 1820, after fermenting and aging for four years, presented connoisseurs with a wine of remarkable sweetness, with “plenty of crust and plenty of color…and a well-stained cork,” according to T.G. Shaw, who recorded his views in Wine, the Vine, and the Cellar (1863), The remarkable vintage established Portuguese wine as a favorite among the British.
Feuerheerd was founded in 1815 by the German trader Dietrich Feuerheerd born in Hamburg who sold cattle, fruit, wood and textiles as well as port. Feuerheerd was one of the leading houses which held grapes from single quintas separated during the 19th century; such as Quinta do Roncao, Quinta do Bom Retiro and Quinta de Zimbro. In 1881 the firm was limited to port and belong to Barros Almeida since 1926. In1996 the equally old Hutcheson was merged with Feuerheerd to became Hutcheson Feuerheerd Associates. In 2006 when Sogevinus bought Barros, this company was included. However the beautiful Quinta de la Rosa still belongs to Feuerheerd family through Albert Feuerheerd’s daughter Claire Bergqvist. The house made vintage from single quinta through Zimbra and de la Rosa during the 1920th. In 2007 the house was sold to Quinta D. Matilde Vinhos, Lda which is owned by some members of the Barros family. Nowadays the brand has been acquired by Barao de Vilar Vinhos SA , giving birth to a new partnership between van Zellers and the Barros family.