Port 1970 Manoel D. Pocas Junior
Velho, Reflets du Haut-Douro
|Fill level||Base neck|
The early 1800s was a watershed era for the vintners of Portugal’s Douro Valley, On one hand, the grape harvest of 1820, after fermenting and aging for four years, presented connoisseurs with a wine of remarkable sweetness, with “plenty of crust and plenty of color…and a well-stained cork,” according to T.G. Shaw, who recorded his views in Wine, the Vine, and the Cellar (1863), The remarkable vintage established Portuguese wine as a favorite among the British.
Manoel D. Pocas Junior
This is a family company, founded in 1918 by Manoel D. Poças Junior. He had started to work at Ferreira but started the House with his uncle. It was called Poças & Comandita, later Manuel D. Poças Junior. In 1943 it was established as a singular name firm, and it becomes a Limited Liability Society, all partners being members of the Founder's Family, most of them working exclusively for the Company. Now the founder’s grandsons and the 4th generation are engaged in the company. 1944 they took over the Port House J.P. Gouveia, which had no port left. Poças Jr. started making vintage port in 1960.
The Quinta das Quartas Vineyard was bought 1923, Quinta de Santa Bárbara, was bought 1980 and Quinta do Vale de Cavalos was purchased in 1998.