Niepoort & Co

Port 1963 Niepoort

Vintage Port, Bottled 1965

Provenance: Sylvies, 1/29/2016

Port 1963 Niepoort (8489)
$ 259.00
World’s Largest collection
3-5 day U.S.A. delivery
Secure payment
Call Us 954-607-7386
Email Us
Size 75 cl
Vintage 1963
Alcohol 20.0 %
Bottled 1965
Button No button
Classification Vintage Port
Fill level Base neck
Packaging No casing


The early 1800s was a watershed era for the vintners of Portugal’s Douro Valley, On one hand, the grape harvest of 1820, after fermenting and aging for four years, presented connoisseurs with a wine of remarkable sweetness, with “plenty of crust and plenty of color…and a well-stained cork,” according to T.G. Shaw, who recorded his views in Wine, the Vine, and the Cellar (1863), The remarkable vintage established Portuguese wine as a favorite among the British.

Niepoort & Co

Niepoort is a small Dutch company, created and established in 1842 of Eduard Kebe and he took F.M. van de Niepoort as partner in 1847. When Kebe died in 1858 van der Niepoort was the sole owner and when he died in 1897 his son took over after entering the firm in 1873. Niepoort is managed by the fifth generation of the family since 1997, when Eduard Rudolph (Rolf) Niepoort retired and his son Dirk took over. Since 2005 Dirk’s sister Verena is also involved in the business.

A speciality of Niepoort is a rare style, called Garrafeira, which requires the wine to be developed in casks, then glass gallon 'demi-johns', and finally being aged in bottle, which imparts some of the style of a Tawny but perhaps more akin to a lighter Vintage offering.

Until some time ago Niepoort used to buy all its grapes from small wine growers. By the end of the 1980's this company, which did not have any Quinta for more than 140 years, bought three properties: Quinta de Nápoles, Quinta do Carril and Quinta do Passadouro. Passodoura supplied grapes to Niepoort until 2003, but after that Niepoort is no longer involved in the quinta.

Quinta de Nápoles

is situated south of the Douro River, at the right bank of the Tedo River, it is one of the oldest in the region. This property had belonged to the same family with this name for more than five hundred years. 1953 to 1961 Mackenzie & Co rented the quinta and in 1987 Niepoort bought it. It is from this quinta they produce Pisca and Bioma.