Port 1955 Souza
Tawny Port, Stencilled Bottle
Provenance: Sylvies, 1/29/2016
The early 1800s was a watershed era for the vintners of Portugal’s Douro Valley, On one hand, the grape harvest of 1820, after fermenting and aging for four years, presented connoisseurs with a wine of remarkable sweetness, with “plenty of crust and plenty of color…and a well-stained cork,” according to T.G. Shaw, who recorded his views in Wine, the Vine, and the Cellar (1863), The remarkable vintage established Portuguese wine as a favorite among the British.
The founder of this house was Miguel de Souza Guedes in 1851. The name Souza Guedes & Irmao is known since 1909. Miguel de Souza Guedes bought Quinta de Seixo during the 1870s and sold the quinta to Ferreira in 1979. He also bought Quinta das Carvalhas in 1880 and it was not until then that quinta start produce Port Wine. This quinta has produced Single Vintage Quinta Port.
He included other neighbouring quintas such as Quinta das Baratas in 1886, Quinta das Covades, Quinta do Zeferino in 1899, Quinta das Monteiras in 1926 and Quinta das Galgas, Quinta da Cascakheira, Quinta da Plombeira and lastly Quinta da Cruz. In 1965 this port house was bought by Silva Reis and became a part of Real Companhia Velha and Quinta das Carvalhas was included in the deal.