Port 1944 Barros Almeida & Co
Provenance: Calais, 10/18/1997
The early 1800s was a watershed era for the vintners of Portugal’s Douro Valley, On one hand, the grape harvest of 1820, after fermenting and aging for four years, presented connoisseurs with a wine of remarkable sweetness, with “plenty of crust and plenty of color…and a well-stained cork,” according to T.G. Shaw, who recorded his views in Wine, the Vine, and the Cellar (1863), The remarkable vintage established Portuguese wine as a favorite among the British.
Barros Almeida & Co
In 1913 Manuel de Almeida established Almeida & Cª as Port wine Exporter. Later, when his brother-in-law, Manuel de Barros, became a partner of the Company, its name was changed to Barros, Almeida & Ca., it was due to the tenacity and energy of the new partner that the brand of the company - Barros Port- became well known all over the world.
Quinta Dona Matilde formerly "Quinta do Enxodreiro", one of the most famous and oldest properties of the Douro is where Barros Port wines are produced. It was bought by Manuel Moreira de Barros in 1927. He had married Matilde, the sister of his employer and later partner Manuel Almeida, and it was to his honor of his wife that he renamed the quinta. Dona Matilde is in fact a very old quinta, already marked on Forester’s map. The area of production is also extended to other properties such as Quinta São Luiz when Barros bought Kopke in 1953, and later when Sogevinus had purchased Barros in 2006 they started making SQVP from Quinta da Galeira. Quinta Dona Matilde was acquired by the Barros family again, so Sogevinus is no longer the owners of this quinta.