Port 1937 Andresen
Colheita, Bottled 1980, Imported by Cordier, Original Wooden Case
The early 1800s was a watershed era for the vintners of Portugal’s Douro Valley, On one hand, the grape harvest of 1820, after fermenting and aging for four years, presented connoisseurs with a wine of remarkable sweetness, with “plenty of crust and plenty of color…and a well-stained cork,” according to T.G. Shaw, who recorded his views in Wine, the Vine, and the Cellar (1863), The remarkable vintage established Portuguese wine as a favorite among the British.
In 1826, Jan Heinrich Andresen, son of Thomas Andresen and Thurke Peppen was born on the remote Danish (at that time) North Sea island of Fohr. At the age of 14, he boarded a small ship to go to America but when he arrived at Oporto he decided to stay there and start a new life.. Andresen displayed an astonishing capacity for work and thanks to his enterprising character he amassed a fortune and established respect in the community. In time he became the President of the Commercial Association of Oporto. He died in Lisboa in 1894.
In 1942 the heirs of J.H. Andresen were confronted with an economic crisis. They decided to sell the business to a society led by Albino Pereira dos Santos, already a respected name in the Port wine business. Destiny seemed to have chosen another man of rare character to continue the 100-year-old business. The company remains one of the few totally family-owned Portuguese Port firms.