Port 1900 Wiese & Krohne
Velho, Reserva Particular, Bottled 1973
Provenance: Artcurial, 12/15/2012
3-5 day U.S.A. delivery
Call Us 954-607-7386
The early 1800s was a watershed era for the vintners of Portugal’s Douro Valley, On one hand, the grape harvest of 1820, after fermenting and aging for four years, presented connoisseurs with a wine of remarkable sweetness, with “plenty of crust and plenty of color…and a well-stained cork,” according to T.G. Shaw, who recorded his views in Wine, the Vine, and the Cellar (1863), The remarkable vintage established Portuguese wine as a favorite among the British.
Wiese & KrohnThe Company was founded in 1865 by Theodor Wiese and Dankert Krohn, two Norwegians initially engaged in the codfish trade. Since the ships which brought the codfish to Portugal should, for economic reasons, return to the North of Europe charged with Portuguese goods, Wiese & Krohn soon discovered the ideal way of putting into practice this basic principle and founded their own Port House. Although keeping its original name Wiese & Krohn has been entirely Portuguese for almost 60 years. In fact, in 1910 Edmundo Falcão Carneiro joined the company and gradually purchased the interests of the other partners and in 1937 he was the sole owner. The third generation of Falcão Corsairs is now operating the firm. Its activity takes place both in Vila Nova de Gaia, where the Ports are matured and bottled in old Cellars and in the Douro Wine District where the company has Quinta do Retiro Novo in the Rio Torto Valley, which they bought in 1989. It was formerly known as Quinta do Lapa belonging to the Magalhaes family. In 2013 Wiese & Krohn was bought by Taylor-Fonseca Group, which took a major step in strengthening its position in the tawny and colheita market.
Quinta do Retiro Novo
It was acquired of Manuel Magalhaes and remained in his family until his grand-daughter Maria Leonor Magalhaes Bacelar sold it to Wiese & Krohn in 1989.