Massandra

Massandra White Port 1934

Massandra, White Muscat 1934

Provenance: Christies London, 12/8/2016

White Muscat 1934 Ex Sotheby's. This is a fortified wine from the Crimea. It is best described as a White Port.

$ 1,039.00

Interested in this bottle?

Please leave your email address here.

I am a...  

For Customer Service related questions such as:
  • Placing an Order
  • Sales Question
  • New Account Setup

Call: (954) 429-6329, or

Contact us via Email

View all Products

Size 70 cl
Vintage 1934
Alcohol 20.0 %
Bottled 1938
Classification Muscat or Moscatel
Fill level Top shoulder
Packaging Original carton box
Region Crimea (Krim)

Wine

(We currently have no information available on this category)

Massandra

(We currently have no information available on this brand)

The Massandra Collection

--
It is difficult to establish exactly when the Massandra Collection was started but Prince Golitzin donated a large number of wines he had obtained from Europe as well as ones he had made himself. The Collection remained quite safe until the Revolution in October 1917. Although the Bolsheviks established Soviet power by the middle of January 1918 Massandra and the Crimea remained in the control of the White Russians. The violent struggle continued for a further three years exacerbated by German invaders, Anglo-French interventionists and the Russian Counter revolution. Throughout this period, the Collection remained hidden because of the entrance to the tunnels in which it was stored had been bricked up and concealed.
--

In November 1920 the Red Army finally took control of the Crimea and the Collection was discovered intact shortly afterwards. In 1922 on Stalin’s orders all the wines to be found in any of the Tsar’s palaces including those at Moscow, St. Petersburg and Livadia were brought to Massandra. Some of these were sold off at this time but the majority were added to the Collection.

--

Upon Nazi invasion in 1941, the Collection was evacuated to three separate locations including Golitzin’s original cellars at Novy Svet, and was to remain there until after the liberation of Yalta by the Detached Seaboard Army in April 1944. Late in 1944, the entire Collection was returned to its original resting place.