Marsala, famous for its Dessert Wines, is an Italian town located in the Province of Trapani in the most western part of Sicily. Marsala is the most populous town in Trapani. The town is famous for the landing of Garibaldi on 11 May 1860 (the Expedition of the Thousand) and for its Marsala wine. A feature of the area is the natural reserve of Stagnone Lagoon—a marine area with salt ponds. Marsala is built on the ruins of the ancient Carthaginian city Lilybaion and includes the archaeological site of Motya island, an ancient Phoenician town.
The Bianchi Family began its Madeira wine venture in the late 1860s with Carlo de Bianchi, a merchant of Como, Italy origin. His bottles used to be marked “C de B”. His son Ferdinando Maximiliano carried on the business and amassed a fne stock of bottled wines from Tarquinio Torcato da Camara Lomelino, wine producer and exporter from the Lomelino`s wines Company, and directly related to his wife Maria das Mercês. The Lomelino supplied wines to the Swedish Royal Family and won several international prizes.
The Bianchi’s owned vineyards and were partidistas, holding stock to sell to other shippers. In 1934 the family became part of the Madeira Wine Association and Antonio de Bianchi was the frst technical director of the Madeira Wine Association. Antonio’s son,
Ferdinando Carlo Antonio de Bianchi started working for the MWA in 1948 for 30 years, becoming the General Manager. As a prominent fgure in the MWA, Ferdinando became an oficial wine taster at the JNV, and very often was requested to taste and qualify
private wine collections. Ferdinando is also featured the 1968 British Pathé Documentary, “Madeira – Island of Wine” where he is seen sampling wines. E.V.