Madeira 1850 Companhia Vinicola da Madeira
Provenance: Tajan, 9/29/2014
The island of Madeira has been producing and exporting its namesake wine virtually since the Portuguese discovered it in 1419. Since then, Madeira’s location in the middle of important trade routes meant the success of its wines mirrored the worldwide geopolitical situation. The fortified wine’s fortunes have soared during times of peace, prosperity, and free trade and plummeted during conflict and international upheaval.
Companhia Vinicola da Madeira
Wine company name, created in 1870 by Antonio Izidro (Isidoro) Gonçalves, born in the region of Estreito de Câmara de Lobos in 21 of April 1844 and died in Rio de Janeiro (Brasil), in 4 of June 1931.
The Brazil has always been the market preference and almost exclusive marketing of their wines, getting well known several of its brands, including the “R”, “S”, “E”, “Q”, “P”, “J” and “M”.
Their wines have figured in several exhibitions and fairs, obtaining honorable titles, such as the "Grand-Prix" at the International Exhibition of the Centenary of the Independence of Brazil, held in Rio de Janeiro in 1922/23 and Gold Medal National Exhibition of 1908, commemorating the 1st centenary of the opening of Brazil's ports to international trade, and other Gold Medals in several other exhibitions.
Initially installed in the famous "Casa dos Cônsules" at the corner of Rua da Conceição with the Rua da Figueira Preta, would, with the prosperity of the business to move to the "Castelo Olímpico".
In addition to its commercial activity António Gonçalves Izidro published several articles in the columns of the local newspapers, and passionately defended the implementation of electric road services in Madeira.
Already in ave age ançada turned away from the commercial activity and retired to Brazil, where he owned vast estates and end where the last days of his life. With its withdrawal from trade, their wines would be marketed by the Company: Companhia Vinícola da Madeira, Lda. Founded in 6 of February 1919.