Cognac 1910 Lichtwitz & Co
Grand Fine Champagne, Napoléon,
Provenance: Catawiki, 7/15/2016
Interested in this bottle?
Please leave your email address here.
- Placing an Order
- Sales Question
- New Account Setup
Call: (954) 429-6329, or
Contact us via Email
Renowned throughout the world, the production of Cognac has been regulated by its very own AOC since 1909. Only liqueurs from eaux-de-vie made from crus from the controlled appellation area of Cognac can be labelled as such. This liqueur must be distilled and aged on-site in compliance with authorised techniques: double distillation in a copper Charentais still, ageing in oak barrels for a set minimum ageing period.
A good Cognac is subjected to a complex manufacturing process. It is never made from the eau-de-vie of a single cru, but from a `marriage' of eaux-de-vie that vary in age and cru - some as old as a hundred. To establish the age of a Cognac, only the number of years spent in oak casks or barrels are taken into account. As soon as an eau-de-vie is decanted into a glass recipient, it ceases to age. The longer it is left to age, the more a Cognac gains in complexity, fragrance, aromas and taste (spiced, pepper and cinnamon flavours).
Please note that only Cognacs made exclusively from Petite and Grande Champagne (50% minimum) can use the "Fine Champagne" appellation.
Lichtwitz & Co(We currently have no information available on this brand)
E. Lichtwitz & Co. was first founded in 1861 in Troppau (now Opava), then the Austro-Hungarian empire. Emanuel Lichtwitz founded a distillery there where he made liqueurs like kümmel, cream liqueurs and their speciality, a herb-infused cognac called "Jungbrunnen."
The company did so well that they became a purveyor to the Austro-Hungarian emperor. The company also imported wines and cognacs. To secure supplies apparently, two of Emanual Lichtwitz's sons settled in Bourdeaux and in 1875 started a business in buying and exporting wine and cognacs there: that's why the label says "seuls concessionairs" - dealers only. In 1948 the new Soviet Government in Troppau nationalized the E. Lichtwitz company. The French branch of the company seems to have been active for a while but disappeared as well in the 1950s.