Cognac 1893 Harvey's
Grande Champagne, Bottled in 1969
Provenance: Sotheby's Paris, 3/17/1999
Interested in this bottle?
Please leave your email address here.
- Placing an Order
- Sales Question
- New Account Setup
Call: (954) 429-6329, or
Contact us via Email
Renowned throughout the world, the production of Cognac has been regulated by its very own AOC since 1909. Only liqueurs from eaux-de-vie made from crus from the controlled appellation area of Cognac can be labelled as such. This liqueur must be distilled and aged on-site in compliance with authorised techniques: double distillation in a copper Charentais still, ageing in oak barrels for a set minimum ageing period.
A good Cognac is subjected to a complex manufacturing process. It is never made from the eau-de-vie of a single cru, but from a `marriage' of eaux-de-vie that vary in age and cru - some as old as a hundred. To establish the age of a Cognac, only the number of years spent in oak casks or barrels are taken into account. As soon as an eau-de-vie is decanted into a glass recipient, it ceases to age. The longer it is left to age, the more a Cognac gains in complexity, fragrance, aromas and taste (spiced, pepper and cinnamon flavours).
Please note that only Cognacs made exclusively from Petite and Grande Champagne (50% minimum) can use the "Fine Champagne" appellation.
Harvey's(We currently have no information available on this brand)
John Harvey & Sons Ltd.
In 1796 the introduction of Harvey's wine-trading business was established in Denmark Street in Bristol. Owned by William Perry, who went into partnership with Thomas Urch. In 1822 Urch's nephew (John Harvey) joined the firm as an apprentice. By 1839 John Harvey was the senior partner in the Bristol branch of the family business, and by 1871 the whole company was known as John Harvey & Sons.
Although as a wine trader their firm specializes in importing, blending and exporting fortified wines, in particular, the company's primary brand Bristol Cream, it has been selling its Cognac for a long time. After 1960 the business relocated from Denmark Street to Whitchurch Lane, Hartcliffe, at which point the Denmark Street cellars became Britain's only wine museum, with adjoining restaurant. Both closed in 2003.
By 2016, the bar Harveys Cellars has the same location on the same site in Denmark Street. Today it is a subsidiary of Allied Lyons.