Armagnac 1875 La Tour d'Argent
Vieux, Manoir de Berault
Provenance: Christies King Street, 12/13/2012
La Tour d’Argent in Paris is one of the most famous restaurants in the World. It is on the fifth floor of a fine corner building. It looks out over the Seine and the skyline of Paris, with the cathedral of Notre Dame nearby. The wine list here is legendary, offering over 15,000 wines. The pressed duck is the specialty (Canard à la presse). The restaurant raises its ducks on its own farm. People who order the duck receive a postcard with the bird's serial number. 1875: Asia's first stock exchange was established, now called as the Bombay Stock Exchange. The United States Congress passes the Civil Rights Act, which prohibits racial discrimination in public accommodations and jury duty. In French the Constitutional Laws of 1875 appoint a president as the head of state. They acquire French Indochina, French Madagascar, French Polynesia, and large territories in West Africa.
This bottle is being moved to our Miami, Florida warehouse. Leave your email address and we will notify you as it becomes available, and send you a 5% discount code for your next purchase.
3-5 day U.S.A. delivery
Call Us 954-607-7386
Armagnac is France's oldest and most prestigious wine-based eau-de-vie. In the 16th century, it was sold over the counter in pharmacies as a "medicine". Armagnac began to be aged in oak barrels in the 17th century. Nowadays, the Armagnac region can be divided into three production areas: Bas-Armagnac, Ténarèze and Haut-Armagnac. Unlike Cognac, Armagnac is comprised of a broad palette of grape varieties, each very different, allowing for a very particular aromatic balance: Bacco adds to the wine's structure and lends it full-bodied, rich and dense aromas that require long ageing processes to fully express their roundness, smoothness and length on the palate. Folle Blanche, on the other hand, provides freshness and fruitiness in the first years of ageing. Ugni Blanc, ideal for distilling, as well as Colombard, are the final names on the region's list of most common grape varieties. When aged for 15 years or more, Armagnac displays flavours of hazelnut, orange peel, cocoa, and prunes combined with aromas of rose, verbena, leather, vanilla and even cinnamon. These Armagnacs are very dense and rounded and fully express their soil. After 25 years, Armagnacs lose their potency and mellow. Their original character gives way to oak barrel fragrances and their length on the palate becomes truly remarkable.
La Tour d'Argent(We currently have no information available on this brand)
La Tour D'Argent
Under the reign of Henry the 3rd, facing the wine docks just after the Saint-Bernard Gate, a certain Rourteau opened an elegant inn. The nearby Château de la Tournelle had been built with stones from the champagne region nearby that had some silvery reflections in the evening. It would give the establishment its name "L'Hôstellerie de La Tour d'Argent." Already used in some homes in Italy, the fork made its first appearance in France at the Tour d'Argent.
It was a remarkable invention to prevent gentlemen from staining the immaculate fashionable ruff worn around the neck. Henry IV inaugurated the fantastic piece of cutlery at a much talked about dinner in Paris. From that evening onwards, the Tour d'Argent could not be ignored and Henry IV regularly came to savor the heron paté, which made the reputation of Rourteau, the owner of the establishment.
Henry IV granted La Tour d'Argent an emblem. The crest, "Cuisinier-oyer-traiteur", hung above the door of the inn till the reign of Louis XIV. The emblem of the restaurant was "a dish covered in sand accompanied by three crowns of ivy and sinople, completely in silver" while that of the inn was "a crenelated silver tower in a field of snap dragons". La Tour d'Argent remained the place to savor refined suppers.
With the turmoil of the Revolution a thing of the past, Lecoq, Head Chef of the imperial kitchens, re-built the restaurant in 1830. The establishment was once again celebrated by gourmets like the Duke de Mornay and the Countess le Hon, The Lady of the Camellias, and even Lord Seymour.
La Tour d'Argent evolves, and the restaurant covers itself with luxurious wooden panels. A sumptuous forged gate marks the new entrance, moved from the number 15 on the Quai de la Tournelle to the corner of the Quai de la Tournelle and the rue du Cardinal Lemoine. André Terrail achieved what he had been planning for a long time. He added two floors to the building and heightened the Tour to the sixth floor to create the best panorama one could ever dream of.
One can only appreciate the architectural marvels necessary to create the now familiar room, built on steel poles, without which the building would not have been able to hold the weight. To begin with, it was an open terrace, which was then closed off with an awning and then finally by huge bay windows. Gradually the Tour developed the structure it has today; the second room was open, the kitchens transferred to the sixth floor and a bigger lift was installed.
Famous cognacs from the La Tour d'Argent wine cellar: 1800 La Tour d'Argent Grand Fine Champagne,1805 La Tour d'Argent Grande Champagne Terrail,1810 La Tour d'Argent Renault & Co Réserve, Grande Fine Champagne,1870 La Tour d'Argent A. Terrail, Grande Fine Champagne,1893 La Tour d'Argent Grande Fine Champagne.